Friday, October 31, 2014

Week 11: Essay- My College Writing Experience

When I came into College, I had tested out of both of the Intro Comp. classes. My first class in College that required a paper was an Old English Literature Class. I had to write papers analyzing different aspects of really old literature, like Geoffrey Chaucer and Beowulf. I remember being really intimidated by my first paper. It wasn't that my professor was asking me to do anything that I had never done before, but it was just the idea that this was a College paper that freaked me out. I think I probably spent more time on that paper than I had ever spent on any High School paper, but I think I got an A-, so I guess it paid off. Getting that first grade back gave me a lot of confidence in my abilities as a writer.


Throes of Creation by Leonid Pasternak, Source: Wikipedia


As difficult as that first class was, it was definitely not the most challenging class that I have taken at OU. Just last year, I took a class called Law and Justice. It was about the development of the ideals of law and justice from their earliest roots in Aristotle to their modern interpretations by John Locke and Thomas Hobbes. I thought this class was right in my wheel-house, but the professor really challenged me. I knew him before the class, so he really pushed me and never let me settle. He would find flaws in my arguments that never would have occurred to me. It really frustrated me at the time, but I think he really helped me to develop as a writer. I owe a lot of the development of my style and voice to him, because he didn't let me be satisfied with where I was. At the end of the day, I think that people improve their writing when they have teachers that care and teachers that challenge them. This can happen in High School or College. Teachers who care about helping their students become better writers are the teachers who see their students become better writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment