Thursday, October 2, 2014

Week 7: Storytelling-

"I can't believe I've that this has happened again!"

Brer Rabbit surveyed the wreckage of his home. Bark was strewn everywhere. It didn't even remotely resemble a house anymore.

"That damn Brer Wolf keeps destroying my home. I built that first one of straw, then I built that one out of pine-tops. This last one of bark hasn't seemed to fair no better. Why's that bastard got to keep messing with me and family? He ain't got no right to be wrecking my stuff," thought Brer Rabbit angrily.

His feud with Brer Fox and Brer Wolf had lasted as long as he could remember. However, he was beginning to get tired of it.

"Kids," yelled Brer Rabbit! "Where are you?!"

Then one by one, his children began to emerge from their hiding places under the bark.

"One... two... three... four... five... Where's Foo Foo? That little bunny is always disappearing."

His kids told him that Brer Wolf had taken little bunny Foo Foo off into the forest. Brer Rabbit was now angrier than he'd even been in his short, little life.

"If that wolf, for the love of god, shows up at my door again, I promise that I'll kill him. He'll never steal one of my children again!"

So, Brer Rabbit had a new house built. This one had a strong rock foundation and was made with solid planks of wood. He also had a small hiding built for his kids, just in case the wolf found his way in.

Some time later, Brer Rabbit was sitting on his porch, enjoying the day. But then, he heard a commotion up the road. Holding up a hand to block the sun, he saw Brer Wolf running straight for his front door.

"Kids, go hide in the basement!"

Not moments after his kids had been safely hidden, Brer Rabbit heard a pounding at the door. Brer Wolf was begging to be let in, saying that there was a pack of dogs after him. Smiling to himself, Brer Rabbit quickly opened the door to let him in.

"Come, Brer Wolf, I have a great hiding spot for you. Hop in this chest and I'll make sure that those dogs never get you."

He locked the chest closed, and then he went and retrieved his children. He had them put a pot of water on the stove. Finally, he grabbed a drill and began boring holes in the chest.

"Don't worry Brer Wolf, these holes are so you can breathe. There are still a few dogs sniffing around."

Winking at his kids, he asked them to get the now boiling hot water off the stove. He began to pour the scalding water into the little holes that he'd made.

"Don't worry Brer Wolf. You only feel some fleas biting. I promise that it will all be ok!"


He continued to pour the steaming water, until he had fulfilled his promise. Brer Wolf would never bother Brer Rabbit or anyone else ever again. In fact, if you ever visit Brer Rabbit's house, you'll see a wolf pelt hanging up in the back porch.


Brer Rabbit and his Family, source: Wikipedia

Author's Note-

This a re-telling of The Aweful Fate of Mr. Wolf from the perspective of Brer Rabbit. Brer Wolf, as it says in the story, continuously troubles Brer Rabbit by destroying his house and stealing his children. Eventually, Brer Rabbit has enough of it, and kills him with scalding water in front of his kids, which I thought was a little weird. 

Bibliography-

Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings by Joel Chandler Harris (1881).

5 comments:

  1. Well done! I actually really liked the way you told this story! The wolf is pretty stupid and the rabbit very cunning. I liked the story and thought it was well-written. One thing you didn't mention in your author's note was which storytelling method you used. Was this very similar to the original? Just curious! Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fairly violent for a kids' story but at the same time it was very satisfying. I really liked that little bunny Foo Foo was the one taken into the forest. This story was very well done, and the way that Brer Rabbit talks seems quite fitting to a parent that would boil a predator alive. The cursing at the beginning was like a warning showing that Brer Rabbit had finally had enough of that big bad wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, I like how you put a little bit of a humorous air into this pretty morbid story. I think my favorite part of your story overall, though, was the characterization of Brer Rabbit through his dialogue. I was really able to get a sense of his voice and character through his speaking so I thought you did a really great job with that! I think this has been one of my favorite Brer Rabbit stories! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brer Rabbit certainly went to some extremes to keep Brer Wolf away, but from what it sounds like, Mr. Wolf definitely deserved it! I actually laughed out loud when I read the part about little bunny Foo Foo being taken into the forest--I loved that you added that for some comic relief in this overall dark story. I also appreciated that you incorporated some of the dialect that Brer Rabbit uses in his thoughts. Overall, great job with this storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg,

    I thought you did a great job with your retelling of this story! I love that you weren't afraid to do your own thing with the story. I am always so timid about changing major parts of the story, so I love that you just went for it. It was a job well done and your writing style is also so easy and enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete