Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week 12: Storytelling- How Robin Hood Met Little John

One cool spring night, Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men at around the fire. As the men waited for their venison to roast, they began to grow restless. Amidst the crackle of the fire came calls from the hungry men.

"Come, Robin, tell us a story," called one.

Another, growing impatient, said, "Ah Robin, if you don't tell us a story to distract me, or if this venison isn't done soon, I'll have to eat Little John to satisfy my appetite." To which the crowd gave a hearty laugh.

"Tell us again of how you came to know Little John," yelled one of the older members of the group.

"If you say so, my friends" answered Robin. "I do suppose it is quite an amusing story. Don't you think, Little John?"

"Why yes, sir, I remember it being pretty enjoyable, at least from my side of things. Would you like to tell the lads, or shall I?"

"You would do it a disservice, my friend. Your talents are better suited to fighting than storytelling. So, where to begin? This was very early in my time and Sherwood forest, and I had only a few men in my company. One day, I grew bored, having not had a proper fight in over a fortnight. So, I told my men to wait in a grove, while I went in search of some stranger to test my strength. I had not gone far when I happened upon a man, guarding a narrow bridge. Well to call it a bridge would be to call Little John the king. It wasn't anything more than a log across a stream. Of course, it was Little John guarding the bridge, and naturally, he wouldn't let me freely pass. I could have easily killed him with an arrow through the heart, if that had been my goal. A fact that Little John often forgets."

"Only a coward would kill a man from afar," interjected Little John.

"Well seeing as I was not going to kill him in so cowardly a way, as Little John has put it, we decided to fight with quarter-staffs on that log pretending to be a bridge. And a good fight it was. Each gave as good as he got. Ah, but my friends, I am ashamed to admit that after some time, our Little John knocked be into the water below."

"A right big splash you made too, Robin," said Little John, struggling to conceal his laughter.

"Yes, Little John. On that day you beat me, fair and square. Well, after I'd pulled myself from the cold water, I called on my horn for my men. They were eager to repay Little John for what he had done, but I would not have it. I, having an eye for men of certain talents, thought Little John would fit in nicely with our band of outlaws.  Ever since that day, Little John has been one of my most loyal and trusted friends, and he is still quite handy in a fight."

"Enough of the sensitive stuff, Robin, you're going to make me cry," laughed Little John. "Anyways, dinner is ready, and hearing about how I beat your ass has given me quite an appetite."


"Don't go and get boastful now, Little John. Or I'll have to humble you! Go on everyone, get your fill!"


"Robin Hood and Little John" by Louis Rhead, source: Wikipedia

Author's Note--

This is the story of how Robin Hood met Little John. I kept the details of the story almost identical to the original. However, I wanted the story to be told from Robin's perspective, since he lost. I also wanted Little John to make fun of him for losing, because Robin is pretty sure of himself. I just wanted to convey how two men could become such good friends after a fight. I hope you all like  it!

Bibliography--

The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898).

1 comment:

  1. I like the playfulness expressed in this story between Little John and Robin Hood. I also like that you mostly kept to the language used at the time “a right big splash you made” and so on. I don’t know if the original was told waiting for food to be done around a campfire, but I really liked that aspect of it. I think you did a great job of conveying how two men could be friends after a fight. So, seeing as that was your goal, I think you did great!

    ReplyDelete