Friday, September 12, 2014

Week 4: Essay-


(Punctuation Symbol, source: New Punctuation Mark)

Name: The Sarcastrophe

Usage: This new punctuation mark has been a long time coming. It would be used to designate whenever someone is attempting to be sarcastic or facetious. It would be implemented in the same way as quotation marks. The symbol would "bookend" whatever statement was made, indicating that it was intended to be sarcastic. It could also be used in conjunction with quotation marks to indicate that a character in a story is speaking sarcastically. This punctuation serves to replicate the change in speaking tone that occurs whenever someone is being sarcastic.

Advantage: I believe that each and every one of us is sarcastic every now and then. I know that I am sarcastic all the time. I've also been in situations where I have been unable to accurately portray my sarcasm over text or in writing. This inhibits by ability to communicate, because I always have to be conscious of whether someone would be able to tell if I was being sarcastic. This new punctuation mark, the "sarcastrophe," would effectively eliminate any of the ambiguity about sarcasm over text messages or in writing. Clearly it would not be used in most kinds of scholarly writing, instead it would be used more colloquially. The only downside I foresee is that definitely showing when you are being sarcastic could potentially take part of the fun of being sarcastic away. Sometimes someone not realizing you are being sarcastic is the funniest part about whatever you said. Regardless, I believe this punctuation mark is a necessary addition to our existing list of punctuation.

Examples:

¤Wow man, you're the best basketball player I've ever seen.¤

¤I honestly dream about being you one day when I grow up.¤

¤That's the best idea I've ever heard!¤

¤You've been watching Netflix all day? It must have been extremely productive.¤ 

No comments:

Post a Comment