Friday, September 26, 2014

Week 6: Essay- What makes a hero?

I think the concept of a "hero" has been present in every civilization. Accordingly, I think that every person or civilization has its own way of defining what make a hero heroic. Is it super strength? Or is it the ability to overcome incredible obstacles? There are a lot of things that I think going into making a hero, but I think that most fundamental trait that a hero must possess is selflessness. In my opinion, a hero becomes more than just a really powerful being whenever he or she begins to make sacrifices for those around them. In fact, I think that this trait is more important than super strength or any other power. This self-sacrifice, when coupled with super powers, is what creates "superheroes."
            
For example, Superman is arguably the greatest superhero of all time, or at least the most recognizable. We all know his powers: flying, super strength, having bullets bounce off of him, shooting lasers from his eyes, etc. But what good do these powers do if he uses them selfishly? If he gets really selfish, then he becomes not a superhero, but a super-villain. Even if he's kind of neutral, then he still isn't really a hero. Therefore, it is unfailing commitment to do good, and to protect the lives of those around him that make him heroic. His super powers only make him more equipped to do those things.


Superman, source: flickr

           
On the other hand though, I read about the The Monkey King, Sun Wu Kung this week. He was certainly powerful. He called himself the "Great Saint who is Heaven's Equal" and got away with it. However, I would never in a million describe this King as heroic. All of the decisions he makes are selfish. He cares very little about anyone other than himself. He uses his considerable power for his own gain. So, judging by my criteria, the Monkey King is most definitely not a hero. Though he clearly has the potential to be an awesome superhero. I guess to sum up points, I would say that heroism has nothing to do with strength or power, and it has everything to do with self-sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment