Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week 1: Famous Last Words

Well... it's been a pretty busy first week. I've never really blogged before, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, even if I haven't done any spectacular work. My class mates, on the other hand, are all crazy talented. All of there work is pretty incredible. I could probably  brag about their work for this entire post, but there will be plenty of time for that. So instead, I'm going to tell you all about another class I'm taking: Intro to Guitar.

This is actually my second go round through guitar. No I didn't fail, but you can take it up to four times and get credit for it. Everybody needs a GPA boost right? Let me get this out there from the get go. I am in no way a good guitar. In fact, if I am completely and totally honest, I would not call what I do "playing guitar." However, I love music and I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument, so I decided guitar was my best option. I mean... who wouldn't want to be able to sit by a campfire and belt out some classic sing-a-long songs? I know I do. I've got a long way to go before I get to that point though. Having some friends in the class, who are just as bad as I am, helps me feel a little better. It is definitely easier to suck as a group than it is to suck individually. On another note, I don't people appreciate how painful it can be to play to guitar. Until you build up some monster callouses on your fingertips, those steel strings will cut you up.

I'll try to keep you all updated on my attempts to play a little guitar! Talk to you all soon!

File:Electric guitar (477101105).jpg

(Electric Guitar Player, Source: Wikipedia Commons)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I am wishing you some monster callouses this semester - that sounds like a great adventure! I'm guessing I caught this post as you are in the process of working on it - when you get to the Declaration, you'll see it needs an image (the Declarations are good that way, a kind of checklist to let you know if you are done or not). Do you have a phone on your camera? Maybe you could document your callouses week by week in your famous last words... and famous guitar callouses! Anyway, enjoy: music is good for the soul AND the brain I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Greg! I think it is really awesome that you are taking a class to learn how to play the guitar. When I was in middle/ high school I play the Bari Saxophone! I have always had a passion for music and I think it is awesome that you share that! Music is such a beautiful way to connect to others. I totally understand what you mean by the Campfire sing-alongs! I have always wanted to play the guitar because it just seems so freaking cool. Alas I have settled to play a few chords on the ukulele.

    I hope your guitar learning is going well this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, guitar, huh? Very nice! I can't play a note of anything on any instrument. You don't even want to hear me on a tambourine. That's horrible. You are a brave soul to tackle the guitar! I've heard it's difficult. It's really awesome that you can take that class 4 times for credit..I wish I had known that. I hope the class is going really well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg, you are so right about sucking in a group of sucky is better than doing it alone! lol ... I was in a bowling league, invited by some friends of mine, and essentially I was named the handicap of the team!!! Bahahaha...having a handicap isn't all bad for my teammates because they get score lifting because of my sucking so bad!! Even though my friends didn't suck at bowling, it was fun to suck with friends.

    I too was a blogging virgin when I started this class, and like you I think I've finally gotten the hang of it. Will I ever do it just for fun, doubtful, but it's nice to have another technological skill under my belt, right?! Well good luck with the guitar class, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and then we'll see you opening acoustic for Eric Clapton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive been thinking of taking guitar too! For the GPA booster and because I want to be able to sit around a campfire and belt out classic sing-a-longs. I am sure that you are much better at writing than you think you are! I haven't gotten to read any of your stories yet, but as long as you sort of kind of try it should be good! I look forward to hearing of your guitar updates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand completely what you mean. I took an intro to tennis class my first semester of college and let me tell you - worst idea EVER. Everybody else in that class had taken tennis in high school or were near-professional level and just in the class for easy credit. I was neither. Had never done tennis before. Most I learned was why I've been in choir all my life - I sucked that bad. Being the only failure there just made it worse.
    I've also been trying my hand at guitar. Had to give it up, unfortunately. Fractured some bones in my hand sophomore year. Calluses? Those strings hurt everything when I tried to play again. I may pick it back up in a few years, but for now it's too painful. Good luck with your playing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Greg!
    I am impressed you are learning guitar! I have always been fascinated by people who can play guitar because it looks so difficult. How do you remember where exactly to put your fingers? It looks very confusing. Guitar is definitely a beautiful sounding instrument for sure. I love listening to the guitar, its very soothing. Hope you are having a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Greg. For someone that hasn’t done a blog before I think your blog looks pretty cool. Good for you bro. Also I think it is awesome that you play the guitar no matter how good or bad you maybe at it. I think it is a good thing that you have a passion in it somewhere and hey raise your GPA. Very smart. GOOD LUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I took intro to guitar the semester before I went to Japan and I loved it. I'm still so bad at playing guitar but I feel like now I actually understand how it works. haha Oh and if you're concerned about the final at all, don't be. You have to go into his office and play a song or two but he's so chill about it. So enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete