Thursday, August 28, 2014

Week 2: Essay- The Real Perks of Being an English Major


(Comic by Jacob Andrews- forlackofabettercomic.com)

This comic hit just too close to home... but not for me, for some of my friends. I only know two or three people who are just English majors. I don't say "just" contemptuously, but I mean that most English majors I know are either double-majored or are on a Pre-Law track or something else. Most people don't go to a university for a "classical" education anymore. Instead, most people opt for a practical major that all but guarantees a job right out of college, like engineering or accounting. Why is that? This cartoon shows us in the most sarcastic way possible.

The kid we see in this cartoon has it all: girls, job offers(plural!), even influence with the President, but most importantly lots and lots of money. So why is this satire? Most English majors I know are hoping to get any job out of college, let alone a super  high paying, glamorous one. Despite what the bottom left panel says, the ability to analyze a Shakespearean play is just not that marketable.  Obviously, the "Perks of Being an English Major" shown are not what really comes with an English degree. As a Letters major, even if I am Pre-Med, I have a little bit of an idea of the real "perks" of being an English major.


I've probably read more old English literature than I could ever possibly use. Most of the super impressive words I have in my vocabulary will never be used in anything but a term paper, because most of my friends wouldn't understand them.  I've more than likely lost time of my life from the hours of sleep I've lost reading and writing papers hours before the deadline. These definitely don't sound like perks, but I would never change my Letters degree for a Science or Engineering one. Sure I'm still Pre-Med, but Letters has allowed me to study some great works of literature and learn a lot more than just marketable skills. I think my degree has made me more well-rounded and prepared me for more than just a job. It's forced me to think critically and appreciate great works of art, even if they're not altogether useful. English, or Letters, may not be the most practical major ever, but they are definitely not worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment