Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

The first storybook that caught my eye was Flipped Scripts: History, Written by the Vanquished. This immediately grabbed my attention because point of view in storytelling is so important. A simple change of perspective can flip a whole story upside down- the heroes become the villains and the villains become the heroes. I also really like the way the student introduced the topic, almost like an episode of Jerry Springer where the the supposed villain, in this case Medusa, Grendel and the Cyclops, goes on to share his or her side of the story. It is a really compelling idea!

The next storybook that jumped out at me was The Monsters of the Twelve Labors, because, first and foremost, the twelve labors of Hercules are some of my favorite mythological stories. Also, I like the idea of exploring a Hero's memories of the deeds for which he is famous. I feel like I can picture Hercules on a therapist's couch trying to work through the horrifying things he was forced to do to complete his tasks. Terrifying monsters like the Hydra, the Erymanthian Boar, the Stymphalian Birds and the Mares of Diomedes are certainly the kinds of creatures that one would't soon forget. I think this is an interesting take on the Twelve Labor's of Hercules.

Growing up, I was really interested in Greek Mythology, so I feel like I know a fair amount about the Greek gods and goddesses, but I never paid much attention to the titans. So Titan's Tales snagged my attention. I know a little bit about Atlas, the great titan holding up the heavens, and Prometheus, the titan who gave humanity fire, but I am unfamiliar with Epimetheus and Menoetius. Also having a little brother, the concept of these four brothers being in counseling is pretty amusing to me. My brother and I have never needed counseling, but we've definitely talked out arguments with my Mom. I can only imagine the types of arguments me and my brother would have if we were titans!

No comments:

Post a Comment